- Probe into ivory theft by customs officer
- HCMC customs officer detained, probed for bribery allegations
- Vietnamese customs officer caught driving wrong way in viral video
- Two customs officers rebuked in Da Nang airport bribery scandal
- Foreigner recalls how he disappointed money-demanding customs officers in Vietnam
A customs officer at Da Nang International Airport has been reassigned pending an internal investigation after a woman posted a complaint on Facebook accusing him of soliciting bribes.
The Vietnamese woman, a university teacher, said in the Facebook post on Tuesday that she arrived in Da Nang the previous night from the United States, and the officer found six bottles of supplements in her luggage.
He said the bottles were subjected to taxes but she could simply give him some “money for a drink,” according to the post.
She gave him a VND200,000 bill and the officer asked for “another bill” for his colleague.
Pham Duy Nhat, director of the customs department at the airport told Thanh Nien Wednesday that the officer, who is not identified, has been removed from the luggage check unit.
He said he will look into security footage before imposing necessary punishment.
According to Vietnam’s customs regulations, luggage brought from overseas are subject to taxes only when exceeding personal use limits.